Nounlune (plural lunes)
- (obsolete) A fit of lunacy or madness; a period of frenzy; a
crazy or unreasonable freak.
- These dangerous, unsafe lunes i' the king. Shakespeare
- a concave figure formed by the intersection of the arcs of two circles on a plane, or on a
sphere the intersection between two great semicircles
- 1984: What he worried about was any eventual convexity, a shrinking, it might be, of the planet itself to some palpable curvature of whatever he would be standing on, so that he would be left sticking out like a projected radius, unsheltered and reeling across the empty lunes of his tiny sphere. — Thomas Pynchon, Slow Learner
- anything crescent-shaped
Usage notesThe corresponding convex shape is sometimes called a lune, but is, strictly, a lens.
- the moon.
- Plural of luna
It may also refer to:
- River Lune in the United Kingdom
or River Lune in J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth legendarium
- Gulf of Lune, where the latter flowed
- Lune (mathematics)
- In real tennis, a lune is a point scoring opening in a jeu quarré court
- Lune (album) an album from Fumiko Orikasa
- King Lune a fictional character in The Horse and His Boy in the The Chronicles of Narnia.
lune in Dutch: Lune